There Are Many Ghost and Spook Lights Across The SouthCourtesy of Thornton Austen and the Booger Lights ghost light Project
This is a directory of ghost lights, spooklights, and earthlight phenomena we have heard of in the American South.
- Cloverdale – Lights float over grassy fields
- Coy – Lights reported to appear in the Carstarphen Cemetery
- Moundsville – A drum has been heard and lights are seen on top of one of the larger pyramid mounds at Moundsville State Park.
- Prattville – Lights appear in and around Bear Creek Swamp.
- Crossett – Light on an old removed railroad bed
- Dover – Multiple lights over Long Pool on Big Piney Creek
- Gurdon – Light on an active railroad
- Little Rock – A phantom motorcycle zooms up out of no where and vanishes as it passes motorists on Woodson Lateral Road.
- Melbourne – Strange lights are seen in the Old Philadelphia Cemetery.
- Mena - Rich Mountain light
- Sardis – Strange light along a pipeline
- Arcadia – The Goat Hill light
- Ft. Meade – Pisgah In the 1950s and 60s, ghost lights were seen on County Line Rd. and Heard Bridge Rd. near old Mt. Pigsah.
- Greenbriar – Ghost light road
- Oviedo – Light seen from a bridge with a tragic history
- Wakulla County - The Wakulla Volcano was a prominent column of smoke, and bright light deep in the swamps of Wakulla County from the Spanish occupation. It disappeared in 1886 during the Charleston earthquake.
- Cogdell – Light on the edge of the Okefenokee Swamp
- Pearson - Light follows and hovers over cars on the dirt roads by the railroad tracks.
- Rock Oven – Lights and more at a strange site on the Altamah River
- Surrency - The Surrency Spooklight
- St. Simon’s Island – A ghostly candle in the Christ’s Church cemetery
- Harlan – In Bardo Hollow every spring a mysterious light appears at the end of the hollow.
- Jeffersonville – The Sand Mountain Light
- Estill County – Multiple locations
- Collinston – Railroad light
- Gonzales – Light on a rural road in the 1950's
- Thibodaux – Lights and other events occur at the rail crossing in Devil`s Swamp
- Beauregard – The Illinois Central Light
- Mantachie - Strange lights and figures are seen in Mount Pigsah Cemetery.
- Arbyrd/Senath – Light on an abandoned railway
- East Prairie – Light on old railroad bed
- Farrenburg – Light on an abandoned railway
- Joplin – The famous Hornet Spooklight
- Knob Knoster – The ghost of a hermit killed by lightning manifests as a light during thunderstorms
- Poplar Bluff – Railroad light
- Badin – Light on the old Whitney Train Tracks
- Brown Mountain – Numerous lights on a mountainside that became the subject of an X-Files episode
- Cullowhee – Lights on the banks of Wehahutta Creek
- Maco – Railroad light
- Tarboro – Railroad light
- Ada - Kalihoma Indian Reservation – A phantom car pursues motorists only to disappear as it draws close.
- Kullihoma - In the Chickasaw Nation bouncing balls of bright light float around and are reputed to be the legendary little people seen by young Indian children.
- Sand Springs – In Postok Cemetery, balls of light move about in and around the cemetery and the surrounding woods.
- Beaufort – An eerie light floats over Land`s End Road.
- Catfish – Lights at an Indian burial ground on River Bend Road.
- Dillon – Bingham’s Light appears near the old cemetery.
- Ravenel – Light in a churchyard with a tragic past
- Summerville – Railroad light
- Anson – Light appears near a local cemetery
- Marfa – The famous Marfa Lights have been the subject of numerous investigations and an episode of Unsolved Mysteries
- Mexia On Battery Road a ball of fire travels late at night.
- Odessa – Lights reportedly appear in Odessa Cemetery
- Saratoga - The Big Thicket Light haunts a gravel road
- Sweetwater – Mysterious orange lights reported floating across Sweetwater Lake
- Wimberly – Strange lights near a campground and swimming hole
- Chapel Hill – Railroad Light
- Crossville - Lights follow the Obed River in and just outside of town and have even been known to cross Interstate 40.
- Henry/Springville – A ghost light haunts an old dirt road.
- Leiper's Fork - Ghost lights bounce around on fields, through forests, and occasionally across the highway in and near the historic district.
- Belfast – Light in the valley below Clinch Mountain
- West Point – The Cohoke Crosseroads Light
- Yorktown/Williamsburg – The James River Peninsula is known for numerous sporadic lights
- Moorefield – The Cole Mountain Light
- White Sulphur Springs - Reports of lights around Kate’s Mountain that hover in the sky and then shoot out of site.
(c) 2015 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved